This September in Budapest, AFS is convening a unique gathering of influencers from across sectors to explore the topic of “Global Competence: Our Future, Our Responsibility” at the 2018 AFS Global Conference. This event will set an urgent agenda for global competence and bring alignment to everyone invested in this field. Now that the early-bird registrations are open, we bring you five reasons you should register to make sure you don’t miss this event:
1. TACKLE AN URGENT TOPIC: GLOBAL COMPETENCE
As the world becomes more interconnected, economies more global and communities more diverse, educating people of all ages to become globally competent and able to learn, live and work together is increasingly recognized as a necessity. The urgency of today’s problems — isolationist politics, international conflicts and clashes of ideologies — requires united action from extraordinary individuals. You are essential to the conversations that will make a difference!
2. LEARN FROM EXPERTS
The 2018 AFS Global Conference is supported by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Teach For All, the World Bank, UNESCO Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP), and Yidan Prize Foundation.
Our keynote speakers, panelists, poster presenters, workshop and idea date facilitators will bring their unique expertise on some of the hottest topics in global competence education from all angles. Don’t miss out on sessions by:
- OECD’s Director for Education and Skills, Dr. Andreas Schleicher,
- UNESCO MGIEP’s Director, Prof. Dr. Anantha Duraiappah
- Yidan Prize Foundation CEO, Mr. Clive Lee
- AFS Intercultural Programs Chair and Senior Advisor for Global Affairs at Columbia University, Dr. Vishaka N. Desai
- Teach For All’s Global Special Projects Lead, Diane Robinson
- …and more speakers, who will be announced soon!
3. NETWORK WITH INFLUENCERS
Join 500 educators, business leaders and innovators, policymakers and government representatives, international education and non-formal learning providers, community organizations, social entrepreneurs and volunteer leaders. The 2018 AFS Global Conference is an opportunity to network across sectors and countries to define how to meet the growing demand for global competence, by creating and aligning policies, tools and resources that empower educators to deliver these essential 21st century skills to learners at every life stage.
4. CUSTOMIZE YOUR EXPERIENCE
The 2018 AFS Global Conference will tackle global competence from all angles, offering synergies and alignment across sectors. Conference content will be organized in five tracks, so you can choose the one that’s just right for you, whether you are in formal or non-formal education, an employer, or a representative of an NGO. The five tracks will address topics like:
- How can all stakeholders in 21st century education connect, collaborate and align their global competency needs?
- What resources are required of different stakeholders—individually and working together—to equip and support life-long learners in ensuring that global competency development is a fundamental component of education for everyone?
- What are the necessary competences, strategies and tools that educators and facilitators require to successfully foster global competence in learners?
- How do we better integrate intercultural learning and global competency development into educator preparation and training?
- What are some innovative practices that educators and organizations have developed to advance global competence?
- What role can civil society and community organizations (NGOs, study abroad organizations, non-formal education providers) play in supporting educators and learners in global competence development?
- What is the role of the private sector in supporting the development of global competence?
- What are the challenges facing all stakeholder in developing global competence and how can these be transformed into opportunities?
5. GET THE UNIQUE AFS TREATMENT
Attendees of the 2018 AFS Global Conference will get a unique opportunity to meet local educators and community leaders dedicated to intercultural learning for an “insider’s take” on Budapest and the Hungarian educational scene. AFS volunteers will be there to support and guide you throughout the event, and you may want to round off your experience by a very special invitation to a home-cooked meal.
Bonus: Witness the launch of the AFS Global Awards which will recognize extraordinary individuals and organizations from around the world who are working to advance active global citizenship, the globalization of schools and institutions, and expanding access to intercultural education.